Surveying diverse suburban communities:
a community-based research handbook
The Community Voices Handbook
This handbook describes our experiences with conducting a community-based survey to capture the views and preferences of several diverse, low-income, suburban communities in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. We use these experiences to outline lessons, recommendations, and considerations for other organizations who may want to develop and administer similar community-based surveys. We have provided checklists associated with each section. To obtain a compilation of all checklists, click here.
Click on any of the following topics to see our lessons and recommendations
- About: The Community Voices research design and timeline
- Sample: How did we find the right sample to survey?
- Survey: How did we design the survey?
- Recruitment: How did we find the right surveyors?
- Training: How did we train surveyors?
- Resources: What physical or digital materials did we use?
- Protocols: What were our protocols?
- Interaction: How did we interact with residents of diverse backgrounds?
- Motivation: How did we maintain surveyor motivation?
- Safety: How did we ensure surveyor safety?
Get new content delivered directly to your inbox.